<<< Back to Mainpage    Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » What's New

Post subject: The Last Rebel Series???
 Post Posted: February 19th, 2007, 10:29 pm 

Is this series going to be continued? I hope so as I would definitely enjoy additional titles in this series. Any others feel the same way?

Bibliomaniacal

Post subject:
 Post Posted: February 19th, 2007, 11:29 pm 

"The Last Rebel" series has in my opinion has much potential to become the next ashes series if more books are printed (since it does continue off from "escape of the ashes". So we can always hope that it will be continued.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: February 21st, 2007, 1:02 am 

The problem with that idea is that first "Last Rebel" book wasnt in the same class as the early Ashes, as was the same as the last of the Ashes books. I would like to see a continuation, but with a major overhaul

Post subject:
 Post Posted: February 21st, 2007, 2:40 am 

Ill agree with you that its different then the original Ashes books, but The Last Rebel definitely has potential to be a good series if properly worked on.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: February 27th, 2007, 12:24 am 
Site Admin

I've only seen a small exerpt of the Last Rebel. I'll agree though, there is potential there and a lot of the characters which made the Ashes series worth reading are still able to make an appearance or at least some legacy of them can be brought forward.

I'd like to see some work on this one.

Post subject: Last Rebel.....
 Post Posted: March 16th, 2007, 8:10 pm 

I enjoyed the Last Rebel because of the way it reverted back to the begining of the series..... By the time the Ashes series ended it had gotten to.... big?... modern?.... overpopulated?

I could remember back when they could not find anyone.... and a few books later they were finding armies and people all over the place..... I like the "EndWorld" type theme.....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: March 16th, 2007, 8:42 pm 

the themes werent the problem- I was just unhappy with the loss of some of those Rebel values from the early books you mentioned. Even Smoke Jensen would have laughed at the idea of protecting Sally like they talked about protecting the women in this book. Give me a break.

Post subject: The Last Rebel
 Post Posted: June 14th, 2007, 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

I wish they would come out with more of the Last Rebel and cont. Bens Dream, Jim is another a-- kicking good guy. I cant wait. T.

Post subject: Re: The Last Rebel Series???
 Post Posted: July 3rd, 2009, 10:38 pm 

It is frustrating to me that the series that got me kooed on Bill Johnstone was the Ashes series. Yes, I would like to see the Last Rebel continued but I have another, probably unacceptable idea. I'm currently re-reading the Ashes as they get released each month and just finished "Treason in the Ashes." There are two events in this book which change the direction of the Ashes forerver. The first is on pages 34-36 when Ben finds out that most of the Rebel outposts have been overrun while he wasdestroying the Nazis of Jesus Hoffman. This doesn't make any sense, after all the ass-kicking the Rebels did, to route all thugs, racists and foreign invaders. But at least Ben could resolve this problem and eventually restore order in the contiguous 48.

But then we learn that former-President Blanton and a bunch of liberals have been holed up by Lake Saranac (page 94) and have been creating an army led by Paul Revere in Canada. True,the Rebels had only advanced as far as New York City in the Northeast but surely they would have heard of Homer Blanton and his nitwit cronies, by some means.

The rest of the series deals a lot with SUSA defending itself against the "restored" United States. SUSA only consists of the 11 Southeastern states, from the East Coast to Texas. The Rebels give up on the the other contiguous states. This is so wrong! And there are still Night People to be dealt with?

My suggestion is that the Ashes series begin all over with page 94 of "Treason in the Ashes." The jaunts to Europe and Africa can be included but the civil war reinactment needs to be excised.

Anyone else with a thought on this?

Steve Servello

Post Posted: July 25th, 2009, 11:48 pm 

Since Bill wrote the Ashes series, I seriously doubt any changes can or will be made to the series.

As I read forward, for my first trip through the Ashes, I find some good feelings and some disappointments in the direction Bill went. But, I love Bill's writing enough, to just go with the flow and finish the series.

As for the original intent of this post, I too would love to see "The Last Rebel" continue. I was a bit mysified by the direction the story took and wish there'd been more of an explanation, like Bill always did in his books... referring back to such and such a book all the time.... although that in itself was tedious, if one had already read that particular book.

I prefer JA's style of not referring back several books, by writing a whole chapter "flashback".

Post Posted: July 27th, 2009, 12:49 am 

I wish they would continue the series as well. J.A. says we need to convince the publishers that it would sell but...last time I checked most the time the writer turns in a book and then the publisher decides weather its good or not, and besides if the publishers cant see that we will buy anything Joe writes, then maybe they dont understand what a talent they are abusing.

Post Posted: May 3rd, 2010, 11:22 pm 

OK, here it is 2010 and I know I'm a little late in mouthing off about THE LAST REBEL, but since I'm fairly new to this please bear with me. The only complaint I have about THE LAST REBEL, is that there has not been any follow-up books. This could be a series that could take off as good as if not better than the original ASHES series. I've read all the ASHES series as they originally came out, loved them, so I'm something of a purist. Please make THE LAST REBEL come through. I think Jo has done an excellent job with the works she's put out, and I look forward to every new one that comes out.
SgtB out.

Post Posted: May 14th, 2010, 2:22 am 

I agree with SgtB!!! :D

Board index » General Discussion » What's New